What is settings.xml or Why is it needed?
Need of settings.xml for resolving dependencies in pom.xml
[ .m2/users/settings.xml (or) maven/conf/settings.xml ]
- Even if you don’t have settings.xml file defined in eclipse-maven settings, still you will be able to add dependencies when working with pom.xml in eclipse project.
- But this works for all dependencies referred from maven central repository.
- The moment you add some dependency where the repository is different from maven central repo, you will notice an error in pom.xml saying ‘missing artifact’.
- The reason is that now you need to define your new repo which has your dependency also.
- So let’ create a settings.xml from scratch by referring here – https://maven.apache.org/settings.html
- Go to your location of maven – eg: D:\maven\apache-maven-3.3.9\conf and
- edit your settings.xml to add the new repository, and
- refer this settings.xml under Eclipse-maven settings.